Label: Century Media
Iced Earth breaks new ground in the metal world with their debut album. Bassist Dave Abell and drummer Mike McGill lay down a solid foundation, Jon Schaffer fills in the cracks with his rhythm guitar, and the high pitched wailing of Gene Adam’s voice and Randy Shawver’s lead guitar are built on top that base. Add all kinds of nifty breaks, time changes, acoustic passages, and keyboards as finishing touches and you have Iced Earth. The completed structure is something that borrows ideas from other bands, yet is remains totally unique. The music is heavy, melodic, dark, fast, and complex. Schaffer plays true rhythm guitar, giving the band its trademark sound. Iron Maiden’s “galloping” rhythm is quite evident, except that Iced Earth is a much faster horse. This album is very raw and fresh; it provides clear evidence that Iced Earth will be a force to be reckoned with.
- Iced Earth [Music/Lyrics: Schaffer]
- Written on the Walls [Music: Schaffer/Shawver/Abell/Adam (+ Lyrics)]
- Colors [Music: Schaffer/Shawver, Lyrics: Schaffer]
- Curse the Sky [Music: Schaffer/Shawver, Lyrics: Schaffer]
- Life and Death [Music: Schaffer/Shawver, Lyrics: Schaffer]
- Solitude [Music: Schaffer/Shawver]
- The Funeral [Music: Schaffer/Shawver]
- When the Night Falls [Music/Lyrics: Schaffer]
- Jon Schaffer | Rhythm Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Randy Shawver | Lead Guitars
- Gene Adam | Vocals
- Dave Abell | Bass Guitar
- Mike McGill | Drums
Recorded at Morrisound Recording Studios – Tampa, Florida.
Produced by Tom Morris and Jon Schaffer.
Mastered at Fullersound Studios, Miami, Florida.
Cover art by Rick Borstelman. Iced Earth logo designed by Jon Schaffer.
Additional information on this release including guest musicians can be found in the jackets and sleeves accompanying the officially released CD/vinyl copies.